"With a strong history and the vision to look forward with confidence, you will not find another club in the area that offers the opportunities available at Greenville Country Club." - Patrick Sullivan, Board of Governors
In the spring of 1895, a small group of young men from Greenville, South Carolina, loaded their wagons with shovels, rakes, sickles, saws and other tools and set out for Piney Mountain. Having taken possession of 50 acres of land conveyed to them by an Indian tribe, the goal of the so-called Piney Mountain Pioneers was to lay out the first golf course in this part of the country. The property - a grassy meadow carved out the hillside - was the site for the course, crude clubhouse and other facilities.
Only a few years later, a larger and more modern facility was needed. The mansion and property of a one-time Provisional Governor of South Carolina were purchased. The new club opened in 1905, with 50 members, and was known as the Sans Souci Country Club. The original three-story Victorian style mansion was refitted into a semi-modern clubhouse with dining rooms, locker rooms, a dance hall and verandas. The golf course was a nine-hole layout of 2,634 yards, featuring crossing fairways. Two clay tennis courts were built and cricket was also played on occasion.
The Sans Souci Club was rechartered as Greenville Country Club in 1914 and nearly ten years later, the new club opened at its current site with an 18-hole golf course, clubhouse, tennis facility and swimming pool. The current clubhouse site was opened in 1954 as a 19,000 square foot facility with new pool complex and bath house. In 1970, GCC completed its second golf course Chanticleer, designed by legendary golf course designer Robert Trent Jones, which was later renovated by his son Rees Jones in 2001. A renovation of the Riverside Course by renowned architect Brian Silva followed six years later. In 2014 the club announced plans to build a new clubhouse and facilities and construction began in October, 2015.